Saturday, July 19, 2008

Back in business

I closed the blog down for a few days. I just kinda felt like it. It being summer time and all we seem to be doing is sitting indoors in the air conditioning, messing around on the computer or watching cable. I happened to find a computer game that I like to play (Cake Mania) and was spending wayyyyy to much time on that.

I figured doing a short electronics fast would be good for me. I like to close the blog because then I know that no one (Google-bot or human) can be checking it for updates. I can get a little obsessive about certain things (usually really dumb things to obsess about) and that is one of them.

Not much new going on around here these days. Its hot. Its been hot for the past week and looks like it will continue to be hot. Duh. Its summer. I always find it humorous about how we complain about the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. Duh. I like the local news reports on the weather too, "Its going to be hot. Be sure to drink extra water and stay in the shade if you can."
DUH.


The economy is taking a toll on things around here. Jobs are scarce and yet another RV factory closed it doors. My neighbor lost his job last week. I feel really bad for the guy. He's my age, been working in the same factory for 20 years, since he was 18, right out of high school, its all he's ever done and they just let him go. They've got a 2 year old baby too. I'd hate to be raising little ones in this day and age. My guys are big enough to take care of themselves if they have too.

Speaking of my guys, my youngest has decided that he wants to join the military when he turns 18. Hubby knows a kid in the Air Force and we had him come over a few nights ago to talk to him about what its like. I was hoping it would scare him off the idea but he tells me that it only made him want to go even more. *sigh* I alternate between being really,really proud of him and worrying myself sick over the thought of it. I know he's only 15 and everybody keeps telling me that he'll change his mind 6 times between now and then. Yeah, maybe. Thing is, nobody else knows my kids like I do. They are amazingly focused and mature (well, mostly). When they want something and they put their minds to it, they have an amazing amount of drive and determination to get it, even though they are just teen aged.

This 15 year-old came to me the other day and said
"Mom. I'm worried about my grades and academics. I'm not sure they will be good enough if we/I continue to homeschool the way we do. Maybe I should go back into school."

We had a big, long discussion about this and decided we would enroll him in a correspondence school for his remaining years of high school. He wants the accountability to someone other than just me and his dad. He knows himself (and me) well enough to see and be able to say that "Hey, we tend to slack alot around here and that's not going to cut it for and in the military." I thought that showed an amazing amount of maturity and insight for a 15 YO. On the other hand, he just bought a Ukulele and it arrived here yesterday straight from Hawaii. Maybe he'll just grow up to be a beach bum, strumming the strings on the beach on a Pacific Island somewhere!

1 comment:

wendybirde said...

Oh good : ) I had wondered if you closed your blog, and was going to email you. I hope alls well with you.....even though its hot.

Peaceful week m'dear : ) Wendy