I think we can finally relax (a little) about my husbands job. Things were really,really,really tense around here last week. His place of employment did some serious "re-structuring" and they let alot of people go. ALOT of people, from places that have never before been affected by cut backs. DH was SCARED. I was SCARED. He made it through ok and was told by both his boss and his boss's boss that his name never once came up in the discussions on who to cut. I think its ok to breath easier for awhile.
Hubby is now working a 4-day work week (4, 10 hour days) so he's off on Fridays. Its been nice being able to have a 3-day weekend with him. His company is also shutting down the week of June 23-27th. He's got plenty of vacation time to cover it and, in a way, I'm glad he has to. It forces him to take a break which he probably otherwise would not. My sister is also off work that week and it looks like she will be coming here with my nephew to visit for a few days. FUN!!! I can't think of anyone else in the world that I love to spend time with more than my sister and my nephew.
I think we'll call it our "Stay-cation" (got this idea from someone else and thought it was pretty cool). A Stay-cation is like a Vacation, but you stay home and do fun things nearby. My nephew is 5 years old, he's still thrilled with stuff like swimming in our little bitty back yard pool and driving our lawn tractor around the yard. I'm thinkin' things like burgers on the grill and going into town for some yummy ice-cream at the little bitty local ice-cream stand that is only open in the summer and has flavors like lemon, raspberry, amaretto. It might be just a hair too early for local sweet-corn to be comin' in yet, but maybe we can still find some yummy corn on the cob and watermelon. I have plenty of books to read and I think I'll spring for a brand new bottle of Hawaiian Tropics Tanning oil, because nothing smells more like summertime/vacation to me than that. I know its horrible now to be out in the sun sans SPF, but when I was growing up my neighbor used to spread baby oil mixed with iodine on herself before laying out in the sun. My friends and I used to use Crisco as a tanning lotion. EEP!
College classes start for us August 25. It looks like Son#2 and I can get all of our classes done on one day per week, Fridays. It's a long day, starting at 8:30am and not ending till 6:15pm, but I think we can pull it off. We both have a couple of long breaks during that time, so its not like its non-stop classes. Scheduling is a challenge with having 3 students and only 2 cars.
I'll end this post now with pictures of my favorite sister and my favorite nephew...


3 comments:
To file under: "Not boring at all...the stuff of life"
Hope alls well for you this weekend Carol : ) Wendy
ENJOY YOUR STAY-CATION!!!
Glad to hear that hubby's job was ok...
Hey..do you want a kitten? They sure are adorable....
Great pics! Enjoy your staycation! I like those kinds of vacations! :)
And I agree, not boring at all.
I hope the long day will work out for ya! I know it will save you on gasoline! :)
Post a Comment