
Love In The Time Of Cholera is getting a little long and heavy to read. I decided to put it down for awhile and read something totally different, children's books. Children's books that I'd not read as a child. I had fun yesterday, browsing through the stacks in the the children's department. This is the same library I've grown up in. It was an important part of my childhood. I even worked there for a few years as an adult. The building has been totally remodeled and the children's department is not in the same place as it was when I was a child. Alot has changed and alot has stayed the same. I found more than a few books that I read and loved as a child still on the shelves. Not new copies of the books, THE BOOKS themselves. Ah, talk about being transported back to being 8 years old again.
I came home with these 3 books.
This is the book I was originally after. I'd read about it in another book, about how it was the authors favorite childhood book. The illustrations are by Tasha Tudor, which is reason enough for me to want to read it. I started it yesterday afternoon and finished it at 12:15 this morning.Book#2
Book 3
Again, have never read this one. Have heard lots about it though, I even used to have a quote from this book at the top of my blog for awhile. I figured if I liked the quote so much, I'd probably enjoy the book. It a slim little book and it is filled with page after page of rather small (for a childrens book, at least) print. Flipping through it, I saw that almost everyone was wearing a scarf, how very French!I will leave you with a quote from The Little Princess that struck me so much I copied it down in the little notebook I keep for copying quotes I've read that I want to remember always.
"I don't answer very often. I never answer when I can help it When people are insulting you, there is nothing so good for them as to not say a word- just to look at them and think...
When you will not fly into a passion people know you are stronger than they are, because you are strong enough to hold in your rage. Theres nothing so strong as rage except what makes you hold it in- thats stronger."
As a gal who has a quick temper and a sharp tongue that little quote gave me much pause, especially that last sentence.
2 comments:
Mmmmm, brings back memories for me too. So do certain children's saint books. It must be neat to be in the same town you grew up in and enter the same library again...wow : )!
I luuurve children's books :)
I have read all three of those. I enjoyed them all. Very good quotes can be had from all three! I think of those 3, Secret Garden was my fave :)
Post a Comment