Saturday, November 17, 2007

whirling dervish of a day

Whew!
Its been a busy morning around here today and its going to be both a busy afternoon and evening too. Its almost 2pm and I'm finally treating myself to a well-earned break after having been on the move since 10 am.

I finally got out of bed at 9am. Oh man, did I need all of that extra sleep! After taking an hour to myself to have some coffee and read my favorite blogs and message boards this morning, I woke up the rest of the crew. I felt so much better and energetic from my good,long nights sleep, I fixed all 5 of us breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs, toast and OJ. We all sat down together to eat at the table.
For breakfast.
Even the kids were amazed. "How long has it been since we've DONE THIS?" They asked. It was such a nice way to kick start our weekend. Everyone even pitched in to clean up afterwards! Jon decided to take off to a local butcher shop to get some fresh,local meat for the week. Andy and I hit his room armed with cleaning supplies and garbage bags. We were determined to clean it up and get things organized since he's working now and will graduate in the spring and is thinking of going to college and moving away.

He did a good job cleaning things up. We just needed to get rid of all of the old junk and tidy up what he was keeping. I told him I would take him out for a Starbucks if we could get it all done this afternoon. All that is left to do is for him and his dad to go through all of his papers and set up some sort of a filing system for him. I think we'll hit Staples after our Starbucks run.

Jon put the chicken on to marinade this afternoon so it'll be ready for supper. The boys and I are going to the play this evening, so I'm glad that is taken care of.

We have a potluck to go to tomorrow and need to figure out what we will be taking and will have to go shopping for the groceries to make it while we out this afternoon. I think we'll make a pan of Indian Rice and a big green salad. When I worked in at the library, one of my co-workers was an wonderful, wonderful lady from India. We worked together every Tuesday night and she was just such a neat lady. She would fix me Chai from spices and tea that she traveled to Chicago once or twice a year to buy. Sometimes, if the library was having a carry-in, she would cook THE MOST AMAZING Indian food I'd ever tasted. In fact, until I met her I'd never had Indian cuisine before. She moved away, but she told me her recipe for my favorite rice dish. We make it on occasion and I always think of her when we do.

No comments: