Monday, October 29, 2007

30 Days of Rising Early

I've set a goal for myself of rising from bed on my alarms clocks first ring. I usually hit the snooze at least twice before I finally get up. I'm going to get up out of bed the first time it goes off and get dressed right away. I want to do this for 30 days, every day for those 30 days too, not just on the days when I need to get up for work. I baby-sit usually 3 days a week, M-T-Th. Wednesdays are my day off and Fridays are only occasionally. I'll be working on keeping my rising routine in place on Wed., Fridays and the weekends as well.

I'm horrible at sleeping in late as well as staying in my jammies or sweatpants until afternoon. I used to get up with the alarm, get kids up and ready and out the door for the bus, get myself ready, dressed up and out for work by 9am. Since we started homeschooling (which also coincided with my boys turning into teenagers) our sleep/wake schedule has gotten really bad.

I hit the snooze once this morning, mostly because I know my clock is set 20 minutes ahead and that I can hit it twice before I HAVE to get up. I'll go down and set it to the proper time today so that I'll have no excuse tomorrow. I also picked all my clothes out the night before and laid them out, that worked well.

My morning routine looks like this-
6am up with the alarm
Bathroom
Dress
Go upstairs (our bedroom is in the basement), get the dogs out of the boy's bedrooms.
Hit on button on coffeemaker as I pass through the kitchen on the way to let the dogs out the backdoor.
Get coffee while dogs do business outside, fire up computer
Let dogs in, drink coffee, check email and Google reader.
Leave house at 640am.

640am until 9am, next door with daycare baby.
9am-2, I'm here at home with the baby and my own crew.
I don't get much done, just keep baby out of trouble, make sure my crew gets their schoolwork going. Fix everybody lunch, try and get baby down for a nap.

I (eventually) need to get some sort of afternoon routine together.
I also need to start taking my bible and journal next door with me in the morning and use that quiet time before baby gets up to get in some reading,journaling and praying rather than just sitting in front of the TV.
Eventually get an exercise time in probably in the afternoon or evening. I know mornings are supposed to be used for ones most productive time, but I've found that afternoons/early evenings usually work better of us to get stuff done, especially now having a toddler in the house ,even just part-time.

November 27th is 30 days away from today. I'll re-evaluate how everything is working then. Rather than blog about it everyday, I joined "Joe's Goals" website to keep track, I even made it public so the entire world can see how I'm doing.

1 comment:

wendybirde said...

Hi Carol,

i'm definitely a late sleeper/ daytime pj wearer too. It makes the day so much cozier.

Though there is something special too about early morning risings and walks....

Peaceful Week,

Wendy