Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Happy Birthday to ME!!!!!!!!

Today is my 37th birthday.

In honor of the day, today's post is going to be all about ME.

I am born and raised mid-westerner, 50% Slovak and the other 50% a crazy-curious, mixed-melting-pot American, raised half-Catholic and half-alcoholic as a lower-middle or maybe its upper-lower class small town girl.

I was born 37 years ago today, in Gary Indiana. Then it was a gritty,steel-mill, unashamedly blue-collar town. My maternal grandfather worked in the steel-mills (I think) and my paternal grandfather was a Teamster, a truck driver. My mother was fired from her job as a bank-teller when her employer discovered she was pregnant with me. My father was a......hmmmm....I don't know what he did back then.

My parents moved to the small town I grew up in and still reside in when I was a year old. I think my dad had a job as a parole officer. He joined the police force and went away to the Academy when I was 3 or 4. I think he went to Florida. I remember him coming back. My mother stayed home with my sister and I until I was 5, then she went back to work.

I am a mother,wife,friend,lover.
I love things,people and places.
I love them wholly,completely,deeply and forever.
I have been asleep.
I have been awake.
Sometimes I feel suspended between two extremes.

I love to write.
But am I a writer?
I certainly am no author.
I long to be heard.
I fear being heard.
For being heard means
being misunderstood,
judged,
punished.

I fear death.
I fear that feeling that awakens
me in the middle of the night
with my own screams.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

"I fear that feeling that awakens
me in the middle of the night
with my own screams."

This is a great line.

Colleen Shirazi said...

Happy birthday!!!!!

FWIW, you are one of the few writers I know. I am not one of them. Dain is, you are. Ummm... The rest of us can express competently what we mean, which is good, but it's more craft than art.

I'm fixing up the old site now, after not being able to even think about doing it for...seven months. You can't post too many things in a blog without getting one of those "type the letters in the box" things--bet ya didn't know that.

I will leave you now with two quotes by Albert Einstein:

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute; sit on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour--that's relativity.

lol