Sunday, May 27, 2007

A day last summer

I was driving the van down County Road 46. I was taking the back route into town. I don't like to drive on the highway or any other main road. I like to take the county roads where the roads are numbered, not named. I am afraid of traffic when I drive.

Andy and I were going to Radio Shack to get speakers. Out in the county, among the Amish and Mennonite farms there are always a lot of handmade signs on the side of the road. Houses and farms offering things for sale; Ponies, rabbits, quilts, eggs, strawberries and even ring-necked pheasants.

What does one do with a ring-neck pheasant? Is it to eat? Is it to keep as a pet? I thought it was something you hunted? Do they lay eggs like a chicken? There must be a market for them or someone wouldn't be trying to sell them. The farmhouse that has them for sale is HUGE. 3 floors, each with a screened in front porch. Sales must be good!

There are also lots of "No Sunday Sales" out along with the "For Sale" signs to keep the godless from trying to do business with the brethren on the sabbath. The signs are always lettered in black, usually on a white background but sometimes you'll see an unpainted board or piece of cardboard. Sometimes words are misspelled but never "No Sunday Sales."

2 comments:

Colleen Shirazi said...

I'm having the opposite experience around here...the freeway traffic is far less scary than the city street traffic. Nuts eh?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...don't know much about ring-necked pheasant! But i do like the idea of no-sunday-sales. We live in a small-ish town and lots of stores are closed on Sundays. I think it is nice for employees to have the day off for a little rest and play.