Thursday, May 31, 2007

You lost me at "should"

The other day I was journaling about what my perfect day would look like. This is what I wrote-

"I would wake-up, early, naturally,gently, before everyone else. I would be happy and refreshed and offer up a little happy prayer or Psalm to God.

I would put on a (pretty)robe, start the coffee, let the dogs out.

I would enjoy my coffee, in my jammes (pretty ones!) while reading my emails and blogs without guilt.

Next, I would shower (good soap, fluffy towels), get dressed (in something neat, tidy and pretty. I'm all about the pretty!), put on a little makeup, fix my breakfast and lay out something for the boys when they (finally) get up.

I would like all of us to get up and get going in the morning.
What to do after breakfast?"

(and this, dear reader, is where everything all came screeching to a stop)

"I SHOULD get some prayer and bible study in there, but I don't really WANT to."



Should.
and all those years spent in legalism come roaring back to me.
Should.
because a good Christian woman, wife,mother, SHOULD always start her day in prayer, with the Lord, studying scriptures.
Should
because if you don't then you are not that good Christian woman, wife, mother
and, you know,
you really should be.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

That's why it SHOULD be all about Christ and His work, and not yours ;-)

Colleen Shirazi said...

You need to have a balance in your life...between the things you "have to do," and the things you "want to do."