Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hello again,hello...

Just called to say hello
I couldn't sleep at all tonight
And I know its late
But I couldn't wait...

My apologies to Mr. Diamond.

So, the blog is back open for the time being. I miss it. I miss blogging and I miss my bloggy friends. I've been using facebook quite a lot lately in order to keep track of people I know but its just not quite the same as blogging. If anybody wants to befriend me on facebook just leave me a comment and we'll figure out away to find each other over there, K?

I got poking around the LibraryThing website this afternoon after reading a post on The Well Trained Mind forums about something called 888. What is 888? I am so glad you asked! 888 is bookreading challenge over on LibraryThing that calls for one reading 8 books in 8 different categories over the year of 2008. Obviously, it is far to late for me to take place in 888, buuuuut there is a 999 challenge taking place for 2009 and I am thinking of taking it up. If I do, I'll blog about it here. One of the reasons (among many,many others) I've not been blogging lately is that I have no idea in which direction I want this blog to go and I like direction and doing things for a purpose. I'm guessing one of the reasons that my blog lacks direction is that I've been rather lacking in the direction department as well.

I loathe to call it a mid-life crisis since I don't exactly feel I've hit mid-life. Crisis, yes. Mid-life.....ummmmm......not so sure. Maybe once the big 4-0 hits and then passes I'll be ready to call it mid-life but I've got about a year and a half left in my 30's left so I suppose I can just call it some Late 30's Existential Angst,K? And I'm not all that sure its existential but I just like the way that sounds so I'll leave it at that.

Enough already with the angst and back to the book/reading challenge.

9 books in 9 categories.
What are the categories?
Any that I so choose.

I was doing a little research and I found that there are exactly 10 categories in the Dewey Decimal classification system. I am a big fan of Dewey Decimal since I used to work in a library. 10 is technically to many though so I'm thinking I will drop one of them and I'm thinking it will be the 000-computer science,information and general works since it starts with 0 and I'm not all that into computer sciencey things and such. Although books fall within that classification section and I do love to read books about books and reading books about reading books is another fun past time. It also doesn't leave any room for fiction reading but I haven't been doing much reading of fiction lately either. And,you know, I also have this little thing going on in my life called COLLEGE that has put a small crimp in my free time. It also is the cause for most/some all of my midlife angst-ing lately but I'll be leaving that whole topic alone for now.

If I do decide to do the 9 Dewey classes it'll look like this-
* 100 – Philosophy and psychology
* 200 – Religion
* 300 – Social sciences
* 400 - Language
* 500 - Science
* 600 – Technology
* 700 – Arts and recreation
* 800 – Literature
* 900 – History, geography and biography
and then I read 9 books out of each section,get it?

Or what I could do is just read one book from each section and have Dewey Decimal just one section of the 9 that I make up. I'd have to come up with 8 other categories though and I'm not sure what else I'd read, other than some classics.

I found a fabulous book at Better World Books, which, by the way, is a FANTASTIC store here in our downtown, called The Book of Great Books: A Guide to 100 World Classics. Told ya I liked books about books! :) One of my goals to read every single one of the books listed in that book and I already have read a few.

Oh so many books, so little time. What ever is a girl to do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always say I will only live to be 58 since I had my mid-life crisis at 29 ;)

I think I would like to try the 999.... I will have to think about it a lot though! LOL

I am always glad to see you post!

(I dislike facebook.)

Amy said...

Welcome back.....I missed you! I've been on facebook ALLOT to!!!!