Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sur Names

I don't remember why we started researching the meaning/history of our last name nor do I remember the website that we found where one could type in ones last name and be told where it came from and what it meant.

Our last name (from my hubby's paternal side of his family) means "Mill Ward" which basically means "mill guarder". If you know our last name (and I'm sorry for those of you who do not because I won't be publishing it here) you can definitely "see" our name in either of those terms,yes?

We did most of the other last names that run in our familys but the best one is my mothers maiden name. It comes from a Polish word meaning "short,stumpy legs". Which is hilarious because even though we are not at all Polish, we are Slovak (which basically just a jump across the crick from Poland but still...) the short,stumpy leg bit DEFINITELY suits that particular branch of my family tree! LOL! And,of course, it is the one I seem to have inherited the most from genetically as well...
:\

No comments: