Coffee is one of them.
I like good coffee. Note, I didn't say I like EXPENSIVE coffee, just goooood coffee. I don't always think that expensive automatically means good. It helps, yes, sometimes it helps ALOT but not always.
I adored my Sensao.
It made really good tasting coffee and it made it fast. However, the pods were getting spendy. The first maker I had only lasted about 15 months before it died and that peeved me off a little bit. We have a 2nd one that we got for free and I'd still be happily using it but for the price of the pods. One pack of pods lasted me about a week and cost just over $4. Now that's the price of one cup of coffee at Starbucks, yes, that is true. I am a cheapskate,however, and I couldn't really stand spending $20/month out of our grocery budget just on coffee.I had my mom buy me this for my birthday.

Now I can buy regular coffee and its alot cheaper than buying coffee by the pod.
However, it doesn't taste as good.
The first bag of regular coffee I bought for it was a bag of pre-ground Dunkin' Doughnuts. It wasn't bad. It wasn't Sensao but it made a drinkable cup of morning joe. That ran out the other day and I bought a small red tub of Folgers and brewed up a batch this morning.
UGH.
Double UGH.
TRIPLE UGH.
I drank it, but only because I had to. 'Twas foul, foul, foul.
I spent this morning doing research, wow!, there are entire message boards out there devoted to coffee. Lots of products, lots of opinions and lots of people with very strong opinions as well as MUCH larger wallets than mine.
Best piece of advice I'd came across was basically
"Spend $25 on a Mr. Coffee Grinder (a burr grinder, not a blade. This is apparently important)
Spend another $25 on a Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Maker.
Spend the rest of your $$$ on buying good beans."
I don't need another maker but I did go out and buy the grinder this afternoon.
(I couldn't fine the recommended Mr.Coffee one so I bought this Black&Decker model instead.)I also did alot of research on coffee beans. Turns out that Whole Bean French Roast Eight O'Clock coffee is about the best bang for the buck that one can find at the local grocery store.

I bought a bag of that this afternoon as well. We did a test grind and brew just to see how the grinder performed and how the coffee tasted. I wanted no surprises tomorrow morning. I ended up with a killer headache this afternoon and I think it was due to lack of my usual amount of caffeine. That Folgers was so bad I couldn't finish the cup and I usually drink a full cup sometimes two, every morning.
It was good. Not knockyoursocks off great, but good. Drinkable,at least until I look around more and see what other kinds of good beans are available here, it will suffice. (wow. That was a craptasically put together sentence wasn't it. Oh well. I write how I hear the voices in my head. LOL!)
Coffee and liquor are just two of the very few things I get snobby about. Just off the top of my head, I don't get snobby about people,clothes, cars, houses or wine. Well, maybe alittle bit about wine. I was in Wal-Mart today and alllllllmost bought a bottle of wine that I'd read good things online about.
I think life's too short to be a total snob,
but its also too short to drink nasty coffee, I think.
What about you?
Are there certain things that my dear readers get all "snobby" about?
2 comments:
You might try Beaner's Coffee. They have it at Meijer...it's one of our favorites...when we aren't drinking our snobby Senseo stuff : )
I'm with you on the coffee...I really like the Seattle's Best coffee.
How did you like the storm last night :)
Post a Comment