Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tackle It Tuesday

I didn't take a before shot but if your REALLY interested and missed last weeks griping post about my kitchen you can see it here.


After-

Just that one simple change of swapping out the old hood for this new one has made such a difference in how the kitchen looks. Its going to be a long,slow process to get it all done, but it is underway. We'll be ordering the frig this week. The new countertops have been ordered. We brought home about 6 types of handles for the cupboards and I think I have chosen my favorite. The sink and faucet have yet to be picked out and then everything will have to be installed by my hubby and 3 sons. How I wish these home renovations got done in an hour or two like they do on all those lovely home makeover shows! :)

I have since repented of my craptastic attitude that I had last week about my kitchen. Yes, its small (can't do anything about that), yes its cluttered (can do lots about that) but its mine. It has been graciously provided for me by God, through my sweet husband who gets up and goes to work, faithfully, every day.

I have a picture on my frig of a little boy and his mom in Africa. He is 9, she has AIDS and most likely won't live to see her son and his little sister grow-up. We send them a little bit of money every month to help them meet their basic needs. I've never been to Africa, never met this precious little family but friends of ours have. I've seen the pictures, I have listened to their stories. My home and my kitchen are a mansion compared to the conditions in Ethiopia. I am as rich (and as spoiled) as a princess in comparison.

Why have I been given such riches, such wealth, such gifts while others have not?
Yet, I still have the audacity to whine and complain.

Shame on me!

Back when he was in 5th grade, my eldest son had a teacher who's favorite saying was
"Attitude is everything." The older I get, the more and more I see the truth in those three words. Its truly amazing how different my tiny little kitchen looks to me now after a big dose of gratitude and a little bit of elbow grease.


Tackle It Tuesday Meme

10 comments:

~michelle pendergrass said...

Wow. That looks wonderful!

We sponsor a child from Peru. Her birthday is coming up, so we're sending extra money this month. I pray that we'll be able to visit her and her family one day.

Unknown said...

looking good~

WHAT A TASK! Hubby did my tackle HE HE! Come on over and check out the remodeling.

Anonymous said...

great change! it's amazing what a bit of paint can do!

Anonymous said...

That looks nice! At least the work is underway. :-D

Melanie said...

It looks great! I'm sure it will take a lot of time, but you'll be so happy once everything is done.

Anonymous said...

Look GREAT!! You are so sweet :)

Heather said...

Looking GREAT! And you're so right about attitude. It's all in how you look at things, but sometimes we all need a little reminder. I'm so excited for you and your fantastic little kitchen! ;o)

Anonymous said...

How nice to have a new hood! It makes a big difference in a kitchen.

You are so right about our attitudes. Whenever we think we have problems, we read the Voice of the Martyrs and realize how small our problems really are.

Anonymous said...

very nice job! how are you going to top that tackle next week?!

wendybirde said...

Hi Carol,

Looks nice! And something about "making it your own" in a deeper way by loving it and shifting it just sounds so healing....

Peaceful Week : ) Wendy