Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thursday Thoughts

One of todays finished projects, homemade sourdough loaves.
One of my work -in-progress projects is of trying to come up with some sort of workable daily schedule for myself. I don't know if its just the time of year or what, but I've gotten off my daily routine and just can't seem to get myself motivated to get back on again.

I did some surfing around the internet for what the daily monastic schedule looks like-
Monday - Friday
4:15 a.m.Vigils (Psalms and readings in English)

Interval (Prayer, Study)
6:00 a.m.Lauds

Interval (Prayer, Study)
7:45 a.m.Terce
8:00 a.m.Work period or formation class
11:15 a.m.Sext
11:30 a.m.Mass
12:15 p.m.Dinner, siesta
1:30 p.m.None
1:45 p.m.Work period
5:00 p.m.End of work
5:30 p.m.Lectio Divina
6:00 p.m.Vespers, Supper

Interval (community recreation or free time)
7:30 p.m.Compline
7:45 p.m.Retire

Whew! That's looks tough!

More looking and I found this one-

  • first prayers
  • first meal
  • work and personal care
  • second meal and quiet time
  • second work session
  • third meal
  • recreation
  • bed
  • evening

The difference is that the first one is from an Abbey and the second is from a self-professed hermit.

Then I did a little bit of free-writing, mind-mapping type journaling and came up with these ideas-
Ideas of things I would like to incorporate daily into my routine-
mediation
prayer
adoration
reading books
writing probably in journal but perhaps on a blog
cleaning
walking in nice weather
elliptical 3X a week until spring when I can try running again
knitting project of some sort
chant/praying the psalms
rosary
yoga
Praying the Angelus

Now the trick is going to be fitting that all in, plus still making sure my hubby and kids are taken care of. This is going to be no small task. And I will say, in my own defense, my husband and kids take me for granted. My guys are all teenagers, they are not infants or small children. They are perfectly capable and competent fellows who are able to pitch in around here and pull some of their own weight.

Since New Years, I've been plugging along trying to follow the routine that the Flylady has set out. This new project is kind of an offshoot from that. I've spent probably way too much time in front of the computer doing research for this, but that tends to be the way I do things. :)






























2 comments:

Frugal Dougal said...

I really like the blog, it's very thoughtful and well-thought-out. I wish you well with all your projects.

Frugal Dougal

wendybirde said...

Hi Carol,

I like the simplicity of the hermits schedule there. And it really is important to personalize it like you are doing, i'm trying there too. Theres a class online blog i came across about creati g your own rule of life, looks interesting:

http://benjaminsternke.typepad.com/rhythm/

That sourdough bread looks delicious! I'd love to learn to make bread. And the alter image on the post above is lovely....

Blessed and Peaceful Weekend : ) Wendy