image courtesy of ARCI saw this picture today and liked it. This little one really doesn't to it much justice, here is a bigger one to admire. I am sure even the bigger version leaves much to be desired when compared to the painting in real life, but since I have no way to jaunt off the museum in California where the original is housed, the internet versions will just have to do.
An art critic, I am not. All I can do is look at artwork and say, "Yes, I like that." or "No, I don't like that." This painting, I like. I like the way the light falls on the baby Jesus, I like the way His little hands are clasped together. I like His little baby fingers and toes and fat little baby knees. I like how everyone is bare-foot. I love the angel playing the violin. I love the look on her face as she plays for Him.
As the mama to 3 sons, I've often wondered about what on earth Mary was thinking as she raised Jesus. I mean, really, can you imagine changing baby Jesus's diapers? Or mama-biting His fat little toddler toes and listening to him baby-laugh?
Or Jesus as a teenager. Did He have a messy room? Did His mama ever get frustrated with His teenage antics and holler at Him? Or was He the perfect infant, perfect toddler, perfect child, perfect teen, perfect young adult. I mean, we all know He was the perfect man, perfect human. I just wonder sometimes what those growing up years were really like for Him, for his mother.
If you'd like to see more paintings by this artist, William Bougeuereau, click here and scroll down the page just abit.
3 comments:
Oooo this is one of my favorites! The look on Mary's face truly touches something. And i loved your reflections here Carol. It reminds me of St Therese'd special devotion to the Infant of Prague. There really is something that stirs picturing Our Lord as an infant...
Hope you are having a Blessed Advent : ) Wendy
hey you!
my tea pot is waiting!!!!
Hi Carol,
I'm getting drawn back to this, and i linked to it from the current post...
Blessed and Peaceful Night : ) Wendy
Post a Comment