Saturday, October 20, 2007

Today, I am thankful

As we watched the news yesterday, we saw more and more pictures of the devastation that happened in a nearby town. It is horrible, it looks like a bomb went off.

We watched the stories of the people and how they'd lost everything. Everyone of them said, "My family is ok, we're together, we'll rebuild and we'll be fine." They say this standing in front of a pile of rubble that used to be their home, with tears in their eyes, but their arms around their family members. "We're all still together and thats all that matters." How true is that? How many times to you hear that after a tragedy?

I got chills as I watched the weather reports afterwards about the tornado. It was on the ground for 20 miles. The place where it ended was only a mile or two from our house. If it would have stayed on the ground only a few more minutes, we would have been hit by it. We were right in its path. I get chills and goosebumps every time I think of that. I see my family, gathered around the little TV set in the basement of our little house with a tornado bearing down on us in the dark outside. I have to keep focusing on the fact that everything is ok and we're fine and just how fortunate we are. I called my parents last night and thanked my mom for all her prayers. I know her and my dad pray daily for us and that my moms prayer is always the same "Keep them safe today, Lord. Keep them safe."