Sunday, October 28, 2007

Tea + Kettle = Bliss


I am not known for my love of kitchen gadgets. The less things I have in my kitchen and especially on my countertops, the happier I am. I've never liked microwaves all that much and I especially don't like them for heating water for tea and hot drinks. For awhile we had a stove top tea kettle and that suited me just fine. But it broke and it got all nasty and greasy from sitting on the stovetop all the time while we cooked. So, rather than resort to heating my tea water in the microwave, I just didn't drink tea. Sad, but true.

We're at a friends house for a co-op planning meeting and our hostess says I'll put the kettle on and get the tea. She pops out to the kitchen and a few moments later in she walks carrying a tray full of cups, teabags and teakettle similar to the one pictured above. I was super impressed. Hot water for tea for 6 of us in just a few minutes. So the search began for an electric tea kettle for me. Eldest son scoured the internet for reviews and decided upon this model. Well reviewed, $30, works great, heats up large amounts of water hot,hot,hot faster than the micro. It sits on my counter right next to my Sensao. My Sensao coffeemaker, the tea kettle and my Kitchen Aid mixer are all that I allow on my counters. The micro is banished to a shelf on the wall.


This is my most favorite tea of all time! I first tasted this at a friends house and I was immediately hooked on it. Its spendy. I paid $8 for 50 teabags at our local food co-op. Oh is it ever tasty though! I like to brew it on the strong side and then add some hot half&half to it to turn it into a Tea Latte. A cup of this in the afternoon gets me through until supper time and the caffeine in tea doesn't bother me as much as coffee does.

Its become a nightly ritual now, around 9pm someone asks "Want some tea?" and wanders into the kitchen to turn the kettle on. I favor peppermint tea in the evenings or Tzao Calm is wonderful as a before-bed nightcap.

I don't think I'll ever be willing to give up that first cuppa Joe in the mornings but for the rest of the day I'll take tea. :)

1 comment:

wendybirde said...

Hi There Carol,

Just saying hello : )

And boy do i know how seductive the right tea pot can be lol...

Peaceful Week : ) Wendy