Monday, October 15, 2007

BLOG ACTION DAY

I didn't realize when I joined BAD that we would be away on fall break. So, the post I'd wanted to write for today never got written.

We're staying in a hotel room and I was surprised to find two little cards in the room that asks for guests to take some simple steps to help the hotel conserve water,energy and to minimize the release of detergents into the environment.

Linens-
The bed linens and towels are fresh when we got here. They will be changed only on our request. There is a little sign we are to leave on the bed if we want fresh sheets.

Towels-
Leave them on the rack or hook to reuse
A towel not on the rack or hook will be replaced

There is a Master Switch next to the door that turns all the lights in the room on and off. We're asked to just hit the switch when we walk out the door to help conserve the electricity. Which we've been doing faithfully.

So, we won't have freshly laundered sheets or towels today. Which is not a big deal. These small things really kind of seem ridiculous to me in light of the fact that this is a water park resort and the power and water that it take to fuel something like this has got to be massive. See, thats on of my problems. I look at these little-bitty almost meaningless things that we do faced up against the reality of water-parks and gift-shops full of cheap plastic crap shipped over from China, not to mention the bins and bins of towels in the water park area that are washed daily and I think "Oh, what does it matter."

It also doesn't help things much that I live in a hyper-conservative area around hyper-conservative people and if I even breath a concern about such "liberal-hippy-crap" as the environment I get mocked and teased to the point that I lose my temper. So, I tend not to talk about what I think and what I try to do in regards to enviromental concerns. But I do think about it, ALOT and I am always trying to do my best where and when I can. Even if I usually feel like David facing Goliath.

No comments: