Monday, September 24, 2007

I'm kinda surprised at how good it has been for me to take on the babysitting job. One would think that having to take care of a toddler would actually throw a monkey wrench into ones plans for the days but it's had the opposite effect here. Things have been going well. I'm actually getting more things done now than I had been before I started the job.

I have to get up way earlier. That helps. I have a reason to have to get up, get ready and out of the house. I have a reason to have my house picked up before I go to bed. If everything isn't neat and tidy and toddler-proof when we come back to my house in the morning, there are consequences! LOL!

Having just this little bit extra bit of paid responsibility has been good for me, for all of us. Having the little bit of extra $$ helps too. I'm able to entice my teens to do some extra work for pay. We never paid them an allowance, but if they want to earn some $$ now, they can. I'll pay them for keeping an eye on baby for me while I take a shower or if I need to run out to the store or something before his parents get home. Its been good.

The rhythem of my days look something like this-
530-630 am- Up, dress, dogs out, coffee, internet or book reading time
630-9am- taking care of Baby over at his house
9-12- keeping an eye on Baby while back at my house, feeding everyone, doing some chores, making sure my own big boys are getting their chores and schoolwork done
12-1- back a Baby's house so he can take a nap. His daddy is usually home by 1-1:30 at the latest, so the rest of the day is my own.

I've not really got any sort of set routine to what I do when I'm done babysitting. Housekeeping chores, making sure schoolwork is done for the day. Sometimes I nap if I didn't get a good nights sleep the night before. I've been doing alot of reading and journaling. I'm trying to get back into baking bread on a regular basis but I haven't hit my groove with that just yet. The weather has just been so hot (88+ degrees predicted today!!! The day after the fall equinox. Summer just doesn't know its supposed to be over!)

I'd like to do some sewing projects. I bought a dress pattern that I can't wait to make up. Finding fabric has been a challenge. I've given up on finding anything worth buying at WM. I'm planning on making a trip to a little Amish owned fabric store not too far from here tomorrow. I'm sure I can find decent fabric there.

I've started a small knitting project for myself! A hat, just a simple hat out of pretty wool in earthy fall colors. Its mostly a rusty orange with strips of forest green and mustard yellow randomly added. When its finished I'd really like to start a shawl. I love shawls!! I'm thinking maybe a soft cream or grey one made out of soft fluffy wool. Something cozy to throw over my shoulders and wrap up in when I dash between mine and Baby's house. Like this, but in a soft,muted color instead.

image courtesy fancyimageyarn.com

2 comments:

wendybirde said...

Hi Carol,

I love the thought of knitting, though i've never learned yet. And shawls are just the coziest things in the world, can't get enough of them : )

Responded to your comment over at the Bluebird's Table blog, so i wont repeat it all here. But just wanted to say hello. And i also love that kindness poem in the next post btw : )

Peaceful Day,

Wendy

Heather said...

hey carol!
the milford library has a knitting club the second thursday of each month from 6:00-8pm...Mikayla and I are going, thought that it would be fun for you to join us...
can't wait to learn to knit myself!
Heather