Saturday, June 2, 2007

Sunday Scribblings




Sunday Scribblings

on a Saturday afternoon


Town and Country

I have lived in town.
I have lived in the country.

I now live in the suburbs
(aka The 'Burbs)

"sub·urb (sŭb'ûrb')
n.
  1. A usually residential area or community outlying a city.
  2. suburbs The usually residential region around a major city; the environs."
ANYWHERE ELSE IS BETTER THAN HERE.

Here we have the worst of both worlds-
town
and
country
without the best of either.


Trying to carve out or
make a sense of place
in the blazing nowhere,
no
place
of suburbian
sprawl.

Strip malls.
Subdivisions.
Big box stores.

Looking for reality
amidst the unreal.
glossy magazine pages,
plastic boxes,
faces
drowning in a sea of
plastic
and cheap hope
for sale.

6 comments:

Shelby said...

great post :)

megan said...

Ow. You pretty much nailed it...suburbia. Wish it could be redeemed.

Patois42 said...

I'm in a burb. I've been in the city. I've been in the country. I can access both where I sit now. I suspect, as my kids age, they will feel it is more as you describe it. Or is it that I fear they'll feel that way?

Colleen Shirazi said...

Dang...you are good.

It's sort of half-plastic over here. You can still find good stuff, but it's a search... I've gotten more out of making jewelry, than buying anything much of anything lately. It's become a quest for "something different"...something that you don't see over and over and over again.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Urgh! Our suburbs are nicer than yours I think! Still I prefer my small city to the suburbs where I gew up! Good post!

Molly said...

I always thought of the suburbs as plastic too!