We had a weird day yesterday with one of our dogs. Our dog, Chrissy, has seizures. I'm pretty sure she had a small one last week and usually if she has a small one it leads up to her having a major one.
Monday night she started acting weird. She was restless and just would not settle down and go to sleep. She was driving me nuts and keeping me awake so I let her out of the bedroom only to spend all night listening to her nails clicking on the floors as she paced around. I got very little sleep.
Tuesday, she was just a mess. She could not settle down. She paced the entire house, room to room to room. Up and down the hallway, on and off the sofa, she lay down and the floor only to jump up again, go into one room, turn around come out and walk into another. Restlessness, pacing and wandering around can be a sign of a pending seizure. Then she started throwing her head backwards. I was SURE she was going to seize. I was tense and on guard all day, watching her. Waiting......
We finally figured out what was really going on later in the afternoon. We saw her lying on the floor, licking her feet. She wasn't going to seize, she was having a bad reaction to the flea treatment I had given her Monday afternoon. She has allergies and licking her paws is a big symptom of them. She kept throwing her head backwards to try and scratch the spot on her back where I'd put the medicine. She was pacing and restless because she was itching so bad and couldn't reach the spot to scratch.
I gave her a dose of Benedryl and took her outside and hosed her down. She was not a happy girl with me. But, it helped. Alot. She needed to be groomed anyways, so we got out the clippers and shaved her down pretty short. That helped even more. A few spots of anti-itch spray on her hotspots, another dose of Benedryl at bedtime and she was zonked out all night.
Shes still a little sleepy this morning from the Benedryl, but she's doing so much better and shes SO less itchy than she was yesterday. We did find a couple of fleas on her so I'm going to have to call the vet and figure out what other kind of flea treatments we can give her.
Swimmers ear, seizures, fleas, allergies. Never a dull moment in this household!
No comments:
Post a Comment