Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stacked

Few things make me happier than Library Day. I just love coming home with a new stack of books for the week.

I'm not totally finished reading my way through last weeks stack. I've got one to finish up before I start on these new ones. Out of the 5 I brought home last week, I finished 3, didn't read 1 and am about half-way through the last one.

I was going to limit myself to fiction books because its been ages and ages since I've read any good fiction. A year or two ago, I was slogging my way through a big, thick novel and towards the end of the book I hit a scene that was just horrifying in its violence and graphic-ness. Seriously, I had a hard time falling asleep for couple of nights afterwards. Since then I've had a hard time with even wanting to read any sort of novel. It was only after I'd found a booklist full of light and fluffy reads that I even dared venture back again into the fiction stacks at my library.

"helping me help myself" is not a novel. Its a book about the authors year of reading self-help books and even attending seminars and classes. She takes a cruise with Richard Simmons, even. Ok, you're going to laugh but I harper a very secret sweet spot in my heart for Richard Simmons. I used to watch his morning television show that was on way back when in the early 80's(? Maybe?) when I was home sick from school. If I was just home faking being sick, I would even exercise along with him and his audience. Of course I had to lift my self-imposed ban on non-fic titles once I read that little tidbit on the book cover. I can't wait to read that chapter either.

Natural History of the Senses is non-fic too, but it came highly recommended off of some booklist somewhere out there. Its not a title I'd have chosen off the shelves myself had I just been wandering by, but I'm always a sucker for a good book rec., fic or non-fic.

3 comments:

Heather said...

you should check out paperback swap, too...there's a link on my blog to it for more info and to sign up.
How are you doing these days?

Anonymous said...

I have been getting a lot of books on cd lately. I love listening to them!!! Esp when the reader is really good :)

amy ruth said...

well, carol, you're WAY ahead of me book-wise. I did read one book this week: Peter Maurin, Prophet in the 20th Century by Marc Ellis. (PM was the Co-Founder of Cath Worker Movement).

Looks like Spring has spring thee in Indiana!! Yay!

Have you seen my Mom-Blog? (motherhoodpath.blogspot) I've had more fun with it lately. Just posted a list called the Bitter HomeSchooler's Wish List.

Blessings,
Amy