Sunday, February 17, 2008

Fish Tanks, Blue LED nightlights and Tabouli all on a Sunday Morn

Today's TO-DO List-
  1. sweep and mop all mop-able floors
  2. make ginormous amounts of Tabouli

A few of our closest family and friends might know that 3 of the 5 of us here are fish-obsessed. It started out with one small 10 gallon aquarium and has grown now into 5 tanks full of fish and one empty tank (donated to us by a dear friend) sitting outside waiting for the arrival of spring when we can turn the hose back on outside and clean it out before adding it to our collection. I also need to mention that I almost, alllllmoooost, have my patient, long-suffering husband talked into letting me and the boys build a pond in the basement for our goldfish.

I have NO idea why or how we've become so obsessed with fishkeeping, other than that seems to be the way we do thing around here, find a topic, fall in love with it and then we eat,sleep and breathe it until the next one comes around. Last year it was robots via the robotic competition the boys were in, this year its fish. If one of us ever falls in love with...ooohh....say...elephants, we might have a problem, but until then I encourage their passions as much as I possible can and try to explain to my befuddled husband what we are doing.

One of the zillions of accessorys one can put on an aquarium is a moonlight. These are usually blue lights that mimic moonlight and make it possible to watch the antics of nocturnal fish. You can buy them and they can be pricey. Son#1 bought a custom made one for his 10 gallon tank off of Ebay ,for $30+ bucks ,which was a good deal or so we thought. Son#3 MADE one yesterday,for his 30 gallon tank, out of night lights, an extension cord and duct tape for the grand price of $8. Ok, so its not QUITE as elegant looking as some of them, but it works, beautifully.

The two little white, duct-taped thingeys on the back of the tank.

Close-up shot of $8 homemade moonlight

We were talking, in the van, on the way home, one day and I was saying about how much I enjoy choosing the tanks, getting it all set up, fiddling with the water, testing it to get it just perfect for the fish, choosing the fish, taking them home, feeding them, taking care of them, getting to know them, watching their antics in the environment that I set up for them and take care of. It just brings me a whole lot of pleasure and joy doing such things. Even though the little tiny creatures are oblivious to the effort it takes for us to keep them alive.

It then dawned on me, I wonder if this (in a very small way) is how God feels about us?

Yes, those are the crazy thoughts I think on a sunny winter afternoon, driving home in my mini-van on State Road 15.

No comments: