I've read through the Foreword, Preface, Publishers Preface, Introduction, Using Omnibus and What's on the CD? sections of the textbook. I took a VERY brief look at what is on the CD. I also read the textbook introduction to The Church History. I am hoping to get the first reading assignment in Church History started today. I would very much like to get a head start on the reading before the kiddos do.
Before I actually read the textbook, I was more than alittle worried about what we had gotten ourselves into this year. All that worry was for naught, at least this early in the game. We shall see if I am singing the same tune later in the school year, in say, February. We'll just cross that bridge when we come to it and until then just enjoy the excitement and fresh beginnings of a new school year.
The textbook itself is really well written. Its personal and engaging. I was reading about emperors whose names I'd never heard of before and some interesting tidbits about Martin Luther. Of course, I sat with textbook on one knee and laptop on the other so I could go chasing off on rabbit trails, looking up all those unfamiliar names and tidbits. How did we do this before the Internet, wireless connections and Wikipedia? LOL! I used to have to ride my bike to the library and look things up in the card catalog. Anyone else remember card catalogs? Big wooden boxes filled with long, narrow drawers that were filled with typed on a typewriter information about the BOOKS one wanted to look up? I spent alot of my teen years flipping through the cards in the card catalog. Now, "Oh, just Wiki it" is bandied about my house whenever someone has a question. "
"Wikki it"
"Google it"
"Are you going to blog about this, Mom?"
All these nouns that have become verbs via the Internet.
I groaned inwardly when I first realized that the first book we were going to read in our very first venture into classical education was going to be Eusebius Church History. I could just hear the complaints from my boys-
"Eusebe-WHO?"
"Why do we have to learn about church history from this Eukanuba guy?"
(The Eukanuba term stuck and now its Eukanuba (as is the dog food brand name) Church History. *sigh* Silly boys.)
I think, no I KNOW, it helps that we are doing Omnibus with 3 other family's, 2 of which we have already met and get along with like a house on fire! Despite the fact that one of them is a GIRL and my boys haven't been around alot of GIRLS and were alittle worried about how learning alongside a GIRL was going to go. Then we met this GIRL and we all agreed that she is one rockin' GIRL and she fits in well with all these boys. The girl sword-fights and makes (faux) chain-mail armor!! She also plays the harp and has the most beautiful waist-length hair I have ever seen.
Ok, I'll get off this rabbit trail now and off to conquer the first 14 pages of Eusebius.
AFTER I go take a shower and get dressed.
I will not spend this entire morning in my PJ's.
I will not spend this entire morning in my PJ's.
I will not spend this entire morning in my PJ's........
1 comment:
I love your "No PJ's" mantra. Thanks for stopping by Ordinary Days and commenting on the Hot Mama Revolution. If you want a button, just send me a quick email at Ordinary.Days@hotmail.com and I'll get the code sent your way. :)
Post a Comment